Thursday, January 13, 2011

Getting Started...

Here is the story of the engagement: Jiovanni and I had been talking about getting married for quite some time. Dating for 11 years gives you A LOT of time to talk about future plans but the real marriage talk didn't really come until about three months ago when being apart became unbearable. We both knew that we wanted to do things the right way and neither of us wanted to be living together before we were married. It was time to move forward. On December 30th 2010 over a dinner for my birthday at Kabab and Curry, while we sat next to each other hand in hand Jiovanni asked my Dad for his permission to marry his daughter. I think I was more nervous than Jiovanni to have that conversation. But any one who knows my Dad knows that he doesn't make things easy. Jiovanni started with " I love Dua very much... " I can't remember what was said after that because I was so excited that this was actually FINALLY happening that I stopped listening! My Mom and Dad gave their blessing and told us both how much they love us. The night was perfect.
Two days later we were on a plane to Florida for the second half of our Christmas vacation. We had made plans with my Aunt Judy to meet her in Vero Beach to golf with her and my Uncle at the country club where she works. So on January 2nd at 7am we were on way down to meet her for breakfast and a day of golf. The weather was perfect, mid 70's with the sun on our faces. Jiovanni had mentioned wanting to go check out the beach before we left, so on our way home we stopped to walk along the water and look for a couple of seashells to bring home. I found a rock that looked like a heart with two small holes in it perfect for making it into a necklace. I showed Jiovanni and went back to looking for more seashells. I got a foot away when I heard Jiovanni say " oooh how about this one??" when I turned around he was on one knee with the ring in his hand. He told me how much he loves me and asked me if I would marry him. I was already crying so I think all that came out was " uh huh"! We had dinner at a restaurant that is right on the water and had a champagne toast. Our waiter asked what we were celebrating and after we told him he said he said we were glowing! Jiovanni did an amazing job picking out the perfect ring and I catch myself daydreaming and staring at my hand all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment